I love popcorn. I pop it myself and just eat it plain – this once got me odd looks when I took a big bowl to a shared lunch at work. My manager shares the obsession though and recently ordered some sweet and salt stuff for the visitor centre shop. I was buying so much of it the visitors never got a look in, so I thought to be fair to them, and my purse, I would make my own.
I also love maple syrup, especially since our fab holiday to Ontario last autumn, the cupboards are full of it. And using maple syrup has got to be healthier than using golden syrup. It’s a natural product, right? Right? Ha ha, anyone who knows me knows I have such a sweet tooth and I am just not interested in the current media craze for removing sugar from my diet.
Perfect for my ‘Rizzoli and Isles’ fest last night, and snacking on at work the next day…
There wasn’t a recipe as such, I did various internet searches and cobbled together something myself. If you want to recreate it:
- Turn the oven on to 160C.
- Put 1tbsp of oil in a pan and heat up. Make sure it’s one where the lid fits properly – a glass lid helps too. Add 2 tbsp of corn and shake the pan. Wearing oven gloves, hold the lid on and keep shaking until the popping is done.
- Pour the popcorn onto a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper.
- Break up a handful of pecan nuts, or any other nuts you like, and sprinkle these over the popcorn.
- Wipe out the pan (I am all about avoiding the washing up!) and add about 1tbsp of butter or vegetable oil (don’t use olive oil, it has too much taste), about 1tsp of vanilla extract and 75ml maple syrup.
- Let the whole lot melt together and even let it boil for a couple of minutes.
- Pour the syrup over the popcorn and quickly mix it to coat it as much as possible.
- Put into the oven for about 8-10 minutes. I kept opening the oven to check it wasn’t burning, so maybe 8 minutes would be best if you don’t do this.
- If you like the mix of sweet and salt you can sprinkle over a little sea salt.
- Let it cool (if you can, I couldn’t but can report no burns!) and enter snack heaven.