I think I mentioned last time that I needed to come up with a project for the mid point of the textiles class. I ummed and aahed about what to print on my cushion cover, mainly thinking that if I went for oak leaves and acorns it would be a bit obvious. As many of you know oak trees are a real thing in our household – we even party chose your our wedding venue because there was a 600 year old oak tree in the grounds.
But, due to a lack of other sensible ideas, I did go for the falling oak leaf design. I spent all of last week cutting a monster stencil, and only got one layer printed right at the end. I decided that I was going for autumnal tones so I kind of didn’t mix my inks properly to get a variable colour. I was pretty pleased with it.
This week, I reused the now dry monster stencil and off set it so that the leaves were in different place. I also used the left over ink from last week and added some brown and pink, again not mixing properly. I reckon adding to the previous ink makes sure it tones well, a good trick if you aren’t good at colour matching!
Then I cut a couple more single leaves so I could add them on in random places. Everyone was very keen on me leaving it at one point because it looked like the Green Man! That wasn’t the look I was after so I kept printing.
Just a bit more work to do now, I am planning on adding some acorns so I need to make an acorn stamp….