I was reading some posts recently on The Twisted Yarn about a long term project to make a crocheted rainbow afghan (that’s a blanket to non knitters!), particularly the one about finishing it, and it made me think that I have never properly posted about the biggest project in my life. In 2009 (yes, you read that right) I started the Lizard Ridge Afghan. This is a very popular pattern on Ravelry, it has 2102 projects. That means people have made, or are making, over 2000 of these bad boys. Lizard Ridge uses Noro Kureyon yarn, which is Japanese, multicoloured and pretty expensive. Have I told you before that I am pretty tasteless sometimes when it comes to colour? I love lots and lots of bright colours together! I don’t go for tasteful neutrals, that’s why I have red sofas when everyone else has cream, brown or grey. So you can see why this pattern would appeal to me.
I was a pretty new knitter when I started this and I knit it in squares, learning new techniques like short rows (and spit splicing, ha ha!) along the way. Soon-ish I had 24 squares, but they sat in piles for ages because I was scared to seam them together and too lazy to wash and block them all. Gradually I did it, and in April 2012 I finally bought some yarn to seam it. But then I decided it would look better bigger, so I knit a load more squares instead.
And then I made my 2013 New Year’s Resolution to finish it. With the aid of a class at a Knitting festival, and some internet tutorials I realised that sewing it together wouldn’t be so bad after all. Those seams are so damn neat now! But it sat around, with the newer squares still not blocked and unseamed. Sigh. I kept pretending to my self that blocking is an awkward job when you can hardly move….
At the beginning of this year I made it my 2014 resolution to finish it and I really mean it this time! I want to enter it in the craft exhibition at the village festival at the end of May, because this blanket really deserves a rosette in my humble opinion – and there won’t be another chance until 2016. I’ve just finished the sewing up, which took about four evenings in front of the telly, turfing the cat off the ends every so often, then I took another three evenings to weave in all the ends. I know a lot of people hate weaving in ends but I don’t mind really, the sense of anticipation at completing a project always gets me through!
So now I move onto the idea of edging it. I decided that I just couldn’t bear to learn to crochet so I looked amongst those 2102 projects for another idea, and settled on applied i-cord edging. I am literally just learning how to do it right now, and thank God for the internet and photo tutorials. I’m using this one and it is starting well, fingers crossed.
Hopefully it won’t be too long until I can post about it in its finished form. I am pretty excited about it!